On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Madhu Menon wrote:
Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
Ten, at the YWCA on Parliament Street in Delhi, serves Mexican food
(Quesadillas, especially) that I enjoyed eating; but I have never
had an opportunity to sample authentic Mexican food.

I think that is indeed the crux of the problem. Most people don't have a point of reference for "authentic" Mexican food (yours truly included.) The only thing that they are familiar with is the Tex-Mex stuff - dishes you can find at places like IndiJoe's, Ruby Tuesday, TGIF, etc. When the impression so many people have of the cuisine is that it's "meat in a tortilla with cheese and some stuff on the side", it's an uphill task to elevate it to any kind of "fine dining" concept. It's far less risky to sneak in a couple of dishes as part of some fusion or coffee shop menu.

Most Americans have never had authentic Mexican food, in large part because it is only widely eaten in relatively small portions of the United States and what you get everywhere else being heavily bastardized. For example, most styles of authentic Mexican food rarely use cheese, whereas cheese practically defines it in many locales in the US. Consequently, most people who think they dislike Mexican food have never actually eaten it; the true style is generally very appealing to a broad range of palates that find the overly greasy fast food implementation distasteful.

Authentic Mexican food is actually really healthy, being comprised primarily of lean meat, vegetables, a lot of legumes, and maybe some unrefined grain products. Deep-fried cheesy things are nowhere in sight.

There is a pretty broad range of characteristic styles across Latin America, but I've only really found three styles that are done justice in the US:

1.) "Tex-Mex", which is authentically rendered primarily in the border country of Texas, from about San Antonio on west. Because it has travelled far and reasonably well, it is the style most Americans are familiar with. Still, it will taste a bit different and a lot better in south Texas; the big restaurant chains do a pale and somewhat greasy imitation of it.

2.) Desert Mexican, which is what you would find in the border towns of Arizona such as Tucson. This is among the most authentic styles, but I never see it elsewhere due in no small part to its dependency on the local climate and ecology e.g. sun-desiccated meat and cactus. The "shredded beef" often used in mass market Mexican food is often a half-assed substitute for marinated sun-desiccated beef that has been shredded and reconstituted with water -- you can see outdoor meat cages hanging from poles in parts of Tucson. No one that has ever eaten both would confuse one for the other, as the character and flavor is very different.

3.) West Coastal Mexican, which uses a lot of seafood and tends toward arid tropical ingredients. In the US, the main place you can get an authentic version of this is San Diego. You can find bastardized knock-offs that vaguely resemble the real thing in many parts of the US now. San Diego benefits from cultural, ingredient, and cuisine contiguity with the parts of Mexico famous for this type of cuisine. Good indicators of authenticity are the use of limes (not lemons) and cabbage (not lettuce).

I like Mexican food a lot, but generally avoid what most Americans would call Mexican food. You can find really solid tex-mex and coastal Mexican if you know where to look in many towns these days, usually small restaurants run by Mexicans. You can get similar tasty food in most of Central America, but in many parts of South America they tend to European-ize their versions of many of these dishes.

I am very fond of desert Mexican, but the only place I ever find it is southern Arizona. I occasionally make it from scratch myself, particularly the slow desiccated meat (in an oven -- climate is wrong), and have discovered that it is hugely popular with the Vietnamese around here who never envisioned Mexican food as anything like it, having a popular but much less developed concept of desiccated meat in their own cuisine.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers