On Tuesday 15 Apr 2008 9:40:25 am Gautam John wrote:
>  to them, it's a trade-off that they are
> happy paying.

This is the problem IMO

Children, and young people (unmarried, less than 25) feel indestructible. In
India they are brought up to believe that their salaries are more than
adequate recompense for what they do not realize they need.

Unless older people who have "been there done that" can offer viable and
attractive alternatives the young people will "understand" only after going
through needless pain.

The fact is a lot of kids may be happy - but they are nevertheless being used.
That is why I spoke of high salaried slavery. Heck even I am using them.
Their wealth is a gold mine that everyone is dipping in and sharing, and that
wealth is being traded for their health at an age when humans are normally
fit and do not fall ill. Nobody gives a damn about health later. Neither the
kid nor his employer. Like I said - the kids think they are indestructible.
They are not and we are using and throwing them like paper napkins because if
one kid cops out another will take his place and be an equally bright eyed
bushy tailed "enthu cutlet" for the money he gets.

If an individual survives - good for him - but the percentage of young people
suffering from things that they should not have means that there is something
seriously wrong. Not with the kids - but with the society that sits back and
enjoys the wealth that these kids are creating and not telling them what they
are inviting in the long term.

shiv