On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Deepa Mohan wrote:
>  | Over the next five years, the city says, the labelling
>  | will help prevent 1,30,000 New Yorkers from becoming
>  | obese and 30,000 from developing diabetes.
>  reminds one about the small entry in
>  http://www.madetostick.com/excerpts/ but does it really work ?

The cafes at the Googleplex use an interesting color-coded labeling
method. The food signs come in 3 colors: green, orange and red. Food
that you should have multiple servings of (salad, veggies, unprocessed
grains) are labeled in green. Food that you should have only a couple
of servings a day (eggs, dairy, fish) are labeled in orange and food
that you should eat sparingly - maybe a couple of servings a week -
(deserrts, red meat) are labeled in red. The color-coded labels convey
the information quite succinctly, IMO.

And while it is true that recommended diet varies from person to
person, the color-coded system does a good job of categorizing the
food for most of the population.

Because many Americans are used to being served enormous portions of
food at restaurants, another interesting approach of the cafe staff
here is to have plates at the entrance to the cafes showing a couple
of recommended meals with average-sized portions.

Thaths
--
Bart: We were just planning the father-son river rafting trip.
Homer: Hehe. You don't have a son.