On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 14:51 +0530, ss wrote:
> When this system comes into contact with grabbing hungry animals, the animals

actually, indians (or brazilians) may be hungrier than americans, but
they are hardly less "animal" in this colourful language.

some years ago, i wrote a paper [1] comparing GDP-per-capita-adjusted
prices for windows XP + office in 100+ countries to their rates for
"software piracy". there is a clear correlation between piracy and
poverty; however, this is non-linear and the US, where income is a large
multiple of that in india or brazil, actually has a piracy rate (25%)
which is not that much smaller than brazil's 56% or india's 70%.

so we're all animals; when we're hungrier, we're more likely to grab
what's available. especially when it's clear to everyone that with
software (or music) the original is not lost when i get a copy, unlike
with the fruits from shiv's garden, which are lost to shiv when i take
them away.

-rishab

1. http://www.firstmonday.org/ISSUES/issue8_12/ghosh/