Gautam John wrote:
Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies
and local governments must measure the waistlines of Japanese people
ages 40 to 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more
than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the population.

Those exceeding government limits -- 33.5 inches for men and 35.4
inches for women, which are similar to thresholds established in 2005
for Japan by the International Diabetes Federation as an easy
guideline for identifying health risks -- and suffering from a
weight-related ailment will be given dieting guidance if after three
months they do not lose weight. If necessary, those people will be
steered toward further re-education after six more months.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2004474437_obesity13.html?syndication=rss

Yep. I've been measured as part of my Sun-mandated annual physical in which they pick, poke, and prod every freaking inch of your body. I'm an American, so I'm classified as "obese" according to the Japanese. And I didn't fit into the x-ray machine, too. Too tall. Sigh.

But on a more serious note, Japan is dying. Literally. The whole country. The population today is about 125 million but will be cut in half in 50 years because people are not having kids and the government is determined to keep immigrants (foreigners) out. So, Japan will slowly die away sometime late this century (estimates range, of course).

People live a very, very long time here, but more recently age-related degenerative diseases are rising due to the impressively obscene use of tobacco and alcohol and Western food (mostly American food). But even though the government is just starting /starting/ to worry about some of these things, and even though people are getting heaver, what strikes you when you come to Japan is how darn /skinny/ everyone is. :)

Jim

--
http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris/