On Tuesday 17 Jun 2008 6:56:10 am Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Jim Grisanzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > But on a more serious note, Japan is dying. Literally. The whole
> > country. The population today is about 125 million but will be cut in
> > half in 50 years because people are not having kids and the government
> > is determined to keep immigrants (foreigners) out. So, Japan will
> > slowly die away sometime late this century (estimates range, of
> > course).
>
> The same is happening to Italy and many other first world countries.
>
> I suspect, though, that things will change fairly deeply before that
> happens. In particular, I suspect that we're about to see more change
> in the next 30 years than has been seen in all of human history to
> date...

Let me make a quasi-political statement here. I may be mistaken but the
shrinking/aging Europeans are the Europeans who built Europe as it is visible
today. However - populations of the more recent immigrants (it appears to
me) - such as Turks and Algerians and even Pakistanis are not shrinking by a
long shot, leading to demographic change and new strains.

This is likely to get worse as Europeans struggle with their laws as opposed
their emotions.

We live in interesting times.

shiv