"Charles Haynes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I agree with you that the situation will change radically,

I don't think you do, in that I think you're not thinking along the
same lines that I am.

I suspect in less than 30 years we're going to have AI and molecular
manufacturing. Given those two things, I think all bets about just
about all topics are off. Anyone who starts a conversation with the
words "by 2075 the situation will be that..." is by definition
completely wrong -- we have no idea what the situation will be like
past 2050 on any level at all. It is possible that I'm off by 20
years, but in any case I doubt that long term speculation about what
Japan will be like "after the population crash" is no more productive
than people in 1908 speculating about how New York would handle the
mounds of horse excrement that would doubtless be clogging the streets
by 1950. Indeed, it is far worse, because much less changed between
1908 and 1950 than will change between now and 2040.

> I do not see that happening in Japan. I could see a smaller and
> smaller population of citizens eventually ruling a large population of
> resident aliens, but not granting them citizenship, nor much political
> control.

These are very tame speculations that assume something we know to be
untrue, which is that technology isn't advancing rapidly and that the
human race will not be radically altered by that advance.

What if, for example, aging is "cured" in the next 20 years and the
population decline halts because of that? What if by 2050 we have
robots as capable as people capable of managing most of society's
needs? What if we have robots that are more capable than people and
humans end up as their treasured pets? What if half the population
uploads into machines and the concept of population becomes utterly
incomprehensible?

These are just a small sample of possibilities -- if we really
encompassed the full range I think one would rapidly see that
discussions of this sort are fruitless. We have no idea of what the
world will be like in, say, 60 years. Speculation is virtually
impossible. I don't even think my crystal ball works to 2015.

--
Perry E. Metzger                [EMAIL PROTECTED]