> "convenience @home" : watch movie in bed... dunno how many 'plexes
> offer a 180 degrees service.

Sure, I'm not arguing pros and cons here. I'm just saying they're *different
* experiences, and not interchangable. We go to halls a) for the big-screen
experience, b) as a social thing, c) to experience the sheer delight of
people talking on phones while the film is on, infants wailing and the
people sitting behind you kicking the back of your chair. None of these
delights can be experienced at home.

Speaking purely for myself, I see many more films at home than at theatres,
but when I do go out, a) I'm happy to compromise with a timepass film
because not too many good films get released here anyway and b) I see the
theatre-going experience as a combination of things: my multiplex of choice
has a superb Landmark bookstore next to it, and many eating options (TGIF,
food court, nearby specialty restaurants). If I'm in the mood to go out and
watch a movie, the entire Criterion collection wouldn't entice me to stay
back home. And vice versa, obviously.

--
Amit Varma
http://www.indiauncut.com