Thaths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Perry E. Metzger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> By pure coincidence, this seems to have shown up on the BBC web site.
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/south_asia/03/kashmir_future/html/default.stm
>
> Thanks for the link. Looking more closely at the map, it appears to me
> that it is not in Pakistan's interest to have an independant Kashmir
> or a re-unified Kashmir that was part of the Indian union. (terrain
> permitting) Indian tanks would able to roll into Islamabad in much
> shorter time than Pakistani tanks rolling into New Delhi.

I noticed that myself. Something of an irony there, isn't it, given
some of this discussion.

Of course, arguably, with the territorial questions settled, India and
Pakistan shouldn't have any more cause for mutual hostility than the
US and Mexico -- which is to say, a bit of suspicion, and a history in
the past of violent conflict resulting in territorial conquest, but no
realistic risk of warfare re-appearing.

Sure, Mexico is dirt poor, highly corrupt, and only very vaguely a
democracy, but there has been peace and mutually valuable trade across
that border for a century.

If the US and Mexico can be friends, if Turkey and Greece can both be
members of NATO and possibly soon the EU, if Japan and China can
engage in vast amounts of peaceful trade with little threat of violent
conflict, then there is no reason India and Pakistan could not
eventually be free of the threat of mutual war and actually reasonably
friendly, provided that the excuses for conflict were removed.

In such circumstances the distance of the Indian and Pakistani
capitals from the border would no longer be a matter of importance.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                [EMAIL PROTECTED]