Not on your Nellie!! The other bloke said "Howdjee do?" and you said "Howdjee
do?" right back.

bonobashi

--- On Fri, 29/8/08, Perry E. Metzger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Perry E. Metzger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [silk] Casual Hellos and Food
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Date: Friday, 29 August, 2008, 10:23 PM

Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> USians like to ask "how're you doing?" or "whasup
bro!", not actually
> expecting you to answer truthfully (try it, it confuses them to no
> end ;)

Well, it depends. It is a polite thing to ask someone you know, but
not necessarily well. Sometimes if you know someone well you're
actually expecting an answer, more often the correct protocol
response to "how are you?" is "fine, how are you?"

It is sort of like TCP:

SYN -> SYN ACK -> ACK

Apparently at one time in the distant past, the polite classes would
say "how do you do?" when introduced to someone for the first time,
but in that instance no answer at all was expected, which I find
rather odder.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on
http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/