On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<sur...@hserus.net> wrote:

> if he wanted to compare donation figures he could compare those to the
> figures going into shirdi, puttaparthi, siddhivinayak temple,

There was a media report on this some years ago but I dont remember
the details. Apparently,  Indian laws mandate all hindu temples (of
certain size/earnings?) automatically fall under the purview of the
Indian government. That means temples which want a tax-exempt status
have to maintain a board which *has* to have government
representative/s who make decisions on the temples behalf. All the
funds collected (like hundi donations) and earned via sales get
tax-exemption status, are public property (read, under government
rules) and subject to govt directives. While the temple is a rich
entity under the government control with 80G tax-exempt status, the
temple priest gets a daily salary of Rupees 100 (this data is a few
years old and needs to be verified).

Under the RTI act, it *may* be possible to get information on how a
(for example, mumbai's siddhivinayak) temple's funds educational
institutions in Maharashtra's districts/villages. It would also be
enlightening to check the antecedents and political affiliations of
the management receiving the funds.  You (read public) cannot ask a
CSI, wakf board or a NGO/sec25 company, trust or society board for
their annual financial data since all other religions are considered
minorities, not covered by this legislation under Indian laws. Private
entities are exempt from public purview/censure. The legal eagles on
this list would know legalese better.

Another example: A temple land can easily be encroached upon, not so
with land belonging to other religious trust/boards who can go to
court (a temple trust can too but its easier to stall that and the
reader can use their imagination on "how").

The author could have researched a little bit more before penning his article.

> aurobindo ashram etc (several of which have 100% tax exemption for social work
> projects they carry out, and which also have large, even grandiose building
> programs like that huge golden golfball at auroville, for example)

... isnt that the 5-star path to moksha (nirvana if you must).

.