On 5/17/09 9:10 PM, "ss" <cybers...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you take a country that is wholly Christian in ethos, lighting up an entire
> street with a string of lights, playing loud devotional music and pulling
> around a chariot with an idol of Ganesha accompanied by incredibly loud drums
> at 10 PM would offend enough sensibities to make it a law and order issue.
> The government of the land will have to take a stand and take one side and
> say whether this is acceptable or not as per the existing laws.
>
> Again, this sort of public act is not allowed in most islamic countries.
>
> Should it be allowed in India or not? Would a complaint that such a public act
> of devotion by Hindus in a public space offends Muslim or Christian
> sensibilities be a valid reason for judging such acts in india? If such acts
> are allowed, is India "secular"?

My opinion is "offending anyone's sensibilities" is not an inviolable human
right. By that manner, non-vegetarians eating near some vegetarians offend
some vegetarian's sensibilities.

On the other hand, anyone inciting anybody else, or dehumanising some people
is a threat to secularism and should be stopped.

I think a similar issue cropped up in France[1]. Singapore is the other
extreme where Muslims technically live in an Islamic nation, have Islamic
rules. Anyone who is not a Muslim is prohibited from marrying one / all food
products have Halal certifications / court cases are judged on Sharia laws
if all parties are Muslim / Muslim kids mostly study in Madrassas / All
major Islamic holidays are public holidays. All this is possible only
because of a strong government which allows such deep divisions in society
and yet function efficiently.

Of course, any act in the interest of secularism will probably be projected
by those adversely affected by it, as being in the interest of their
opponents. I doubt India will ever get down to implementing such rules.

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3325285.stm

- divya

--
I blog at http://nimbupani.com/blog