On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahem, that bit about the address, that would be me, and I think I've
> apologized a few times to all parties concerned. It was at least to me
> an intellectual exercise in proving a point that went wrong.
[.....]

btw, bringing it up was not to portray you (i didnt remember it was
you till you waved) as evil or anything else for that matter. A faux
pas for me may be an intellectual exercise for another. Mileages vary,
but that instance was vividly stuck in my memory in an unrelated way**
which was instrumental in defining the way i participate online over
the years.

This thread is also a reminder of the differences in the way men and
women interact online. Afaik (a guess really) lawnun is a woman and
taking another wild guess, i'd speculate that the anonymous
conversationalist is a man (btw, since you are a member and are
reading this, feel free to stem my speculative ramblings but i must
say I am very curious about why a nick or the lack of a real name
bothers you so :))

** The first time i stopped lurking to ask for help on a linux-related
list, two helpful off-list responses veered into uncharted territory
teaching me to keep my online footprint to a minimum.

> Perhaps because the list of members, as Deepa points out, is
> semi-transparent, Silk remains the smallish list I joined many years
> ago where I knew most people IRL. Of course it is not the case, and
> there are all sorts of 'strangers' who read it on the public archives
> and never subscribe and all that. If I really paid any attention to
> the size of the list and the number of strangers (to me) on it, I
> would probably clam up and never participate.

Why clam up? People who interact online get introduced to the social
norms, and most lists have their own idiosyncrasies -- text-only, no
attachments, bottom or in-line posting, etc.... (that last one calls
out to deepa ^_^) ; either self-taught or via soft nudges from folks
they interact with. The process is a public one in full view of
strangers when you talk of archived lists and silk is no exception.

--
.