2009/7/4 Bruce Metcalf <bruce.metc...@figzu.com>

>  Comments on requiring land ownership?

Doesn't work again. I'm sure requiring ownership of land (or a flat) would
deny most of the urban population of most countries the right to vote. And
it is they who are likely to be more educated and have the luxury of time to
read and understand the issues and vote for the right candidate/ideology.

Besides this, socio-economic factors come into play again. The average
Indian born into median level of society takes a few generations before
being wealthy enough to own land. And this has nothing to do with those in
this strata being competent enough to vote.

I honestly think no criteria can be formulated which can guarantee more
informed and intelligent voting. What is required is inclusive development,
a clean and healthy environment, minimum guaranteed education, near 100%
employement, etc etc. which will in time result in more intelligent voters
making better informed decisions.

Kiran