On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Bruce Metcalf <bruce.metc...@figzu.com>wrote:

> But how does an educational requirement strike the rest of you?

I'm horrified at the suggestion. Even the uneducated pay taxes. (Everyone
who ever buys anything in this country is paying taxes by default.)
Therefore they should have a vote. No taxation without representation, blah
blah. Also, we don;t deprive them of their human rights if they're
uneducated, so why of their vote?

Also, I don't see a clear connection between education and the ability to
make sensible judgments. In India, the general level of education in the
CPI(M) and the BJP is probably higher than in other parties. Murli Manohar
Joshi was a professor, for FSM's sake. And some of the smartest people I
know are school and college dropouts.

--
Amit Varma
http://www.indiauncut.com