Hi Cheeni,

You are in for trouble!

> Given an MBBS is 5 years of non trivial labour, I'd be interesting in
hearing what made either of you give it up?

I was among the few kids who never knew what to do with myself in the
pursuit of knowledge. But my father who was running the shop (which I run
now) as a partner was very definite that I should become a surgeon.

Inspite of my best efforts I could not get a medical seat here after my Pre
Degree second year (similar to Plus Two now). After doing 2 years of BSc in
Zoology, my father was no longer patient in my achieving what he wanted me
to. He went out and secured an admission in Belgaum.

Between June 1986 and November 1982, I did 'non trivial' labour and came
back as a doctor. After doing small stints in several hospitals (never did
'private practice! High hopes with just an MBBS degree), I got into PG -
DMRD Diploma in Medical Radio Diagnosis) at Madurai Medical College from the
waiting list. Joined there in October 1984. Worked hard for the first year
exams in April.

The last week of March 1985 - I was informed that my father had had a heard
attack. Came back home and was with him for ten days. He was recovering
nicely when he suddenly turned worse and passed away on April 3, 1985.

I was already married then and since there was nobody else to run the shop
and send me the necessary means to support me to continue my studies, I had
to necessarily switch careers.

So here I am since May 1, 1985.

--
Regards,