>  > The one single thing that (for me) pushes her beyond
> > the pale is this:
>  > her virulent opposition, in both word and deed, to
> > birth control - to
>  > some of the most desperately poor people in the world.
> > Uncounted
> > > hundreds (or thousands) of people exist in utter
> > misery today who owe
> > > their being and state directly to her words and deeds.
> > I consider this
> > > truly *evil*, and believe that her net contribution to
> > the world is a
> > > significant increase in the sum of misery in it.

i must admit i don't know much about mother theresa. but it's interesting to
compare views expressed about her and gandhiji here, in relation to the
peace prize. i'm not comparing the personalities. they cannot be compared.
nor the achievements. just the approach taken towards making an argument for
and against. we know, being a great 'personality' is not about being so in
every detail of your entire life (which is more the subject of biographies
rather than conclusive evaluations). but we know gandhiji's views on western
medicine. i have not made the effort to check the veracity of the
oft-repeated claim that he refused his wife penicillin. the following,
however, is a very peculiar view in his own words:

"I have heard that many women who did not want to lose their honour chose to
die. Many men killed their own wives. I think that is really great, because
I know that such things make India brave. After all, life and death is a
transitory game.... [The women] have gone with courage. They have not sold
away their honour. Not that their lives were not dear to them, but they felt
it was better to die with courage rather than be forcibly converted to Islam
by the Muslims and allow them to assault their bodies. And so those women
died. They were not just a handful, but quite a few. When I hear all these
things I dance with joy that there are such brave women in India." (CWMG
vol. 96: 388.89)
usman

p.s. f.w. deklerk and the sectrian duo in northern ireland were also given
peace prizes as were rabin and peres (alongside arafat) for a major change
of stance rather than actually achieving anything at the time the prizes
were awarded. the latter was true of mandela too... but, yes, he had
suffered - a lot - already. so the peace prize has been used as
'encouragement'... in mandela's case he earned the 'achievement' part
afterwards. the question is: does the president of the most powerful nation
of the world, claiming to be the leader of the free world, need
encouragement of this kind... denying the same to, say, tsvangirai.. for
that year at least?