On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Kiran K Karthikeyan
<kiran.karthike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ukraine lost one in four of its population during the Second World War, the
> largest losses of any country and about 20% of the total deaths.
>
> Simonova's sand story portrays the human loss after the German invasion in
> 1941. The opening scene shows a couple sitting on a bench under a starry
> sky. Warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated to be replaced by
> crying faces. Then a baby arrives and the woman smiles again, but war and
> chaos return and a young woman becomes an old widow, before the image turns
> into an obelisk – the Ukrainian monument to its Unknown Soldier.

On a similar note, I highly recommend watching Persepolis[1] - A
animated fillm (I am not sure that 'Animated film' is the right word
since much of the film mirrors the comic feel). The story follows a
young girl as she comes of age against the backdrop of the Iranian
Revolution.

-- Vinayak