Vinayak Hegde wrote, [on 10/17/2009 2:01 PM]:

>> Simonova's sand story portrays the human loss after the German invasion in
>> 1941. The opening scene shows a couple sitting on a bench under a starry
>> sky. Warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated to be replaced by
>> crying faces. Then a baby arrives and the woman smiles again, but war and
>> chaos return and a young woman becomes an old widow, before the image turns
>> into an obelisk – the Ukrainian monument to its Unknown Soldier.
>
> On a similar note, I highly recommend watching Persepolis[1] - A
> animated fillm (I am not sure that 'Animated film' is the right word
> since much of the film mirrors the comic feel). The story follows a
> young girl as she comes of age against the backdrop of the Iranian
> Revolution.

Similarly, I highly recommend the album _Dead Winter Dead_ [1] by
Savatage, which I've mentioned here before [2].

A love story set against the backdrop of the war in Bosnia, it fuses
great storytelling (both musical and lyrical) with amazing musicianship
and the fusion on Mozart and metal. Highly recommended.

Udhay

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Winter_Dead