On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Vinayak Hegde wrote, [on 10/17/2009 2:01 PM]:
>
>>> Simonova's sand story portrays the human loss after the German invasion in
>>> 1941. The opening scene shows a couple sitting on a bench under a starry
>>> sky. Warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated to be replaced by
>>> crying faces. Then a baby arrives and the woman smiles again, but war and
>>> chaos return and a young woman becomes an old widow, before the image turns
>>> into an obelisk – the Ukrainian monument to its Unknown Soldier.
>>
>> On a similar note, I highly recommend watching Persepolis[1] - A
>> animated fillm (I am not sure that 'Animated film' is the right word
>> since much of the film mirrors the comic feel). The story follows a
>> young girl as she comes of age against the backdrop of the Iranian
>> Revolution.
>

> Similarly, I highly recommend the album _Dead Winter Dead_ [1] by
> Savatage, which I've mentioned here before [2].
>
> A love story set against the backdrop of the war in Bosnia, it fuses
> great storytelling (both musical and lyrical) with amazing musicianship
> and the fusion on Mozart and metal. Highly recommended.

I of my friends whom I am trying to get on silk recommended the Grave
of the Fireflies [1] (Anime Film - consider one of the best anti-war
movies). Another great movie on the Kurdish extermination by Saddam is
Turtles can Fly [2]. All the protagonists in this movie are children
just like Grave of the Fireflies and Persepolis.

-- Vinayak