On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Jim Grisanzio <jim.grisan...@sun.com> wrote:
> Raul wrote:
>>
>> Yep, was fun reading... There's this analogy in ThinkerToys:
>>
>> http://books.google.com/books?id=5ozm2lpj05QC&pg=PA51
>>
>> <quote>
>> Imagine a cage containing five monkeys.

> Good story. I certainly know a few of those monkeys (and a few veterinarians
> studying real monkeys too). But I suppose we all have the ability of acting
> like those monkeys from time to time even if we are consciously aware of the
> issue and try to disrupt the process. I think that's a strong point of the
> article, that our reactions are hardwired to at least a certain degree.
> Catching (and adjusting) our own narrow agendas is cool, but what about what
> we genuinely miss? And how much are we missing on any given day. Probably
> more than we are comfortable with.

Playing devil's advocate somewhat, there's a cost as well as a
potential pay-off to not just playing along. Think of the
willing-to-be-a-rebel monkey 100 years later. "What's the real deal?"
the monkey asks. To find out, they have to apply intellectual thought
to get to a point of enquiry and then likely have cunning and/or
bravely to get any actual answers - e.g. by climbing to the top
despite the barrage and then by having the conviction to say "but the
banana was lovely and the only downside was you unnecessarily beating
me" whilst everyone is stuck in the firm paradigm which demands
threatening anyone questioning The Truth.

Even at the individual level instead, it's not just broken to be town.
There's a balance between taking advantage of your beliefs so you can
focus on action (imagine doing all your maths from first principals
rather than relying on say 1+1=2) and questioning your beliefs in case
your direction/actions are poor. A friend floored me recently with her
approach. I know her as very sure of her (core) beliefs. She let up.
Once every year or two she has a bout of introspection where she
re-aligns. Interesting approach at trying to find the best of both
worlds.

With regards to the article - I very much enjoyed reading it at one
level but there was a niggling irritation at another, and a friend
captured it interestingly. Namely: it reads a bit like Gladwell. <digs
out chat transcript:>

[06/01/2010 17:09:03] Morgan Friedman: notice how this is written in a
total gladwellian style?
[06/01/2010 17:09:13] manarh: yeah
[06/01/2010 17:09:17] manarh: I find that irritating personally
[06/01/2010 17:09:42] manarh: didn't peg it as gladwellian - but I
find them both irritating and when you mentioned it... it's for
similar reasons.
[06/01/2010 17:10:20] manarh: Emotional pull to allow mostly good
points on interesting topics to be made powerfully but I think with
weaknesses in accuracy.
[06/01/2010 17:10:23] manarh: If that makes sense.
[06/01/2010 17:10:27] Morgan Friedman: agreed 100%
[06/01/2010 17:10:29] manarh: Feels dangerous
[06/01/2010 17:10:48] Morgan Friedman: gladwell writes so well that he
convinces you of what he's saying, even if he may not be right. the
perils of writing too well.

[an example of what I thought was "inaccurate" was how Kuhn was first
cited - as distinct from the later citing which was quoted in this
thread. In the first I felt Kuhn was misrepresented, though the second
citing redressed that (with consequent minor loss of coherence, IMHO,
to article)]

Right, I'm in danger of going off on my spiel connecting architecture
with paradigms with emergence with the law and organisational
values.... oops, nearly! ;).