2010/1/13 J. Andrew Rogers and...@ceruleansystems.com

> To point out a significant bias, in most militaries I am familiar with the
> standards of behavior, compliance, and myriad other things for females are
> substantially laxer than for males. Explicitly so, not just as a matter of
> practice. The military experience for a female is considerably different
> than for a male, so I would expect behavior to vary accordingly.
>
> A few modern militaries have experimented with gender-blind military units
> and they generally worked well after some modest cultural adjustment. Every
> case I am familiar with (e.g. Canada ran this experiment in some combat
> units for a handful of years) the *political* backlash against the policy
> usually kills the idea after a few years even though the results are
> typically good from a military perspective.

The other inherent bias is the ''type'' of woman that joins the military. A
military career is a fairly conformist choice for many men, but relatively
nonconformist, even challenging, for most women. Similar findings have been
observed in the corporate sector where female employees account for
disproportionate numbers of whistleblowers, for instance.

--

‘That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't
good enough for me! I demand euphoria!’- Calvin