On Wednesday 24 Nov 2010 1:33:31 pm Kiran K Karthikeyan wrote:
> On 24 November 2010 12:47, Sriram Karra <ska...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Are vegetarians just plain dull?!
>
> No. They're just prejudiced in my opinon.

I would say meat become inedible and disgusting more rapidly than vegetarian
food, particularly in India, It's not for nothing that "culture media" for
growing bacteria use some form of animal protein. In fact the specific bacteria
that cause "rotting" as well as botulism actully need meat to grow in a
culture.

Refrigeration became commonplace in India only recently and I still don't
believe that cold chains can be trusted. Meat needs to be consumed soon after
slaughtering the animal in the absence of refrigeration.

Buddhism and the Jainism - both faiths that impacted huge areas of India have
played a role in Indian vegetarianism and depite the fact that 60% of Indians
do eat meat (once in a while at least) 40% is still 400 million and at 400
million vegetarians in india - that number is still bigger than the population
of all countries in the world save China.

That should explain the "prejudice"

Having said that meat eaing has been made dead easy.  If most people still had
to slaughter their own meat and get rid of the entrails and offal vegetarianism
would get a big boost. Many Indians are "pretend meat eaters" because they
will eat, but not toletarte the cooking of meat in their kitchens. I am one of
them. Others who do not do this develop an inane sense of superiority
imagining that cooking or eating meat gives them brownie points. This attitude
is a relic of the "meat eating martial race" logic that was applied to
differentiate some Indians from others - usually Muslim versus Hindu.

shiv