On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Anand Manikutty
<manikuttyan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There has been a lot of interest around the idea of the technological
> singularity. There is even an operating system by Microsoft carrying that
> name. Anyway, I have been quite skeptical about the whole concept.

<snip>

> What I would like to note (perhaps it is a new claim, but it is a rather
> obvious one) is that businesses are not interested in developing
> technologies that could spiral out of control. The potential damage to a
> business is too great.

You seem to be assuming that businesses (or anyone/anything else, for
that matter) can even know all possible outcomes of a "technology".
This seems obviously mistaken.

Have you read the original Singularity paper by Vernor Vinge [1] ?
He's also done a talk on "What if the Singularity does not happen [2]?
where he reiterates his belief that the Singularity is still the most
likely non-catastrophic outcome of current human activity.

Overall, either I am not understanding something basic in your
position, or it is not fully thought-through. Say more?

Udhay

[1] http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/vinge/misc/WER2.html
[2] http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/vinge/longnow/