On Wednesday 30 March 2011 10:37 PM, Srini RamaKrishnan wrote:
> My best analogy of India and the US is the comparison between
> vegetable soup and salad. In the US it's still possible to visit China
> town, or the Mexican/Latin quarter and experience the real thing, but
> in India, much like vegetable soup, where you have a flavor and hint

Indian culture has always assimilated other cultures. Same with Indian
food. Pepper was replaced with chillies, tomatoes are now an active
ingredient in Indian cooking although tomato is not native to India. I
agree that it is pretty difficult to find "authentic" non-Indian food.
But I don't get how that would make us any less confident. Isn't the
change of taste in food predominantly caused by the Indian customer not
accepting the authentic tastes? Maybe a few do, but most don't. It is a
big joke among the Americans that when an Indian visits an Italian
restaurant, there is a request for chilly flakes in the pasta and the pizza.

--Venkat