On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The average Indian isn't a very confident animal, how else can one
> explain the absurd popularity of self help books? Poverty is evil.
> Poverty leads to a lack of control over one's life. This is true in
> India and much of the third world where even if you are lucky enough
> to be rich as an individual, most events are unpredictable.
> When life seems stochastic to you and to people around you there is a
> general crisis of confidence caused by the uncertainty, and naturally
> people turn to self help books, charms, religion and other sources of
> succor.
> A voice bold and true no matter how stupid is the surest symbol of
> hope for people in these circumstances.

Whats the link between your conclusion and poverty ?

self help books, charms , gurus , healing churches, pyramid schemes :
I would say that of the people I know who have never experienced
living in poverty (not just indians -- but a fairly general global
demographic ) -- an overwhelming number of them are still susceptible
to one of these ...