On 19-Apr-11, at 10:48 AM, Heather Madrone wrote:
[snip]
Since I've lost the extra weight, I continue to limit my sugar intake. I've observed that any high calorie high sugar treat converts with 100% efficiency to weight gain, *even if I stay within my calorie limit for the day*. If I splurge on a big old piece of chocolate cake, I spend the next week undoing the damage.

About a year ago I started to make a moderate effort to cut down on sugar, and I've had similar experience to you (except about the childbirth bit, for gender-related reasons). In particular, I cut out sugar from my teas and coffees and made a concerted attempt to cut out sugary drinks.*

The main effects I noticed were moderate weight loss, reduced craving for sugar and carbs in general, a general increase in alertness around the afternoons (this may be entirely psychosomatic but I don't argue with it) and a highly increased sensitivity to sweetness in food - things that I would have never thought twice about in the past (Indian sweets, particularly) became cloyingly sweet. I notice the effect of a strong dose of sugar immediately.

* Giving up sugary drinks is REALLY HARD, esp if you choose not to drink alcohol at social events etc. The only widely available non- alcoholic, non-sugary, non-caffeinated beverage is water. Ergo, I drink a lot of water. One does wish for alternatives now and then.

-Taj.