On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 01:09:50PM +0200, Srini RamaKrishnan wrote:

> I don't know much about BitCoin, but my initial thoughts were that
> this is unenforceable as an alternative monetary standard without a
> global power behind it. The US dollar effectively left the Gold

That's exactly 100% backwards. If it succeeds, it's because
it lies outside of invididual's and group meddling.

However, this is a prototype. Getting distributed cryptographic
systems fool-proof is a hard problem. I would be very, very surprised
if Bitcoin would be sufficiently hardened against attacks, especially
large scale sophisticated attack.