On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:10:08AM +0530, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

>> Currencies are consensual belief systems. Bitcoin will remain
>> useful as long as there are no effective attacks against
>> the cryptosystem and/or the infrastructure, and people continue
>> to believe in it.
>
> This is equally true of baseball cards.

I don't know what baseball cards are. I know a guy who's
behind the Chimgauer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_currency
which is a special case of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_currency

>> Bitcoin is unlikely to be it, but it will have successors and
>> competitors.
>
> I agree.

The advantage of different cryptosystems and implementations
is that they remove the single point of failure. It's one thing
losing a play money wallet with 50 EUR, another entirely with
50 kEUR.

>> I don't consider it either thorough, or compelling. It's full of
>> forceful
>> assertions, strawmen, and errors.
>
> I don't agree. There is enough meat in there that requires a cogent
> rebuttal (eg the idea that "real" currencies are backed by people with
> guns - something that I've seen from bitcoin supporters themselves).

None of the currencies I linked above are backed up by people with
guns. In fact, people with guns oppose alternative currencies
just as they insist on the state's power monopoly.
The question is how enforcible this is these days. In absence
of a police state, not very. Any smartphone would do these days.

> This piece has received enough play now that a good rebuttal is very
> likely to appear. If you happen to come across one, I'd appreciate if
> you'd link to it here.

If you're trying to bait me into taking down the takedown, I'm afraid
I'm insufficiently interested.