On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 12:21:42AM +0530, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:
> This is a very thorough and compelling takedown of bitcoin.

Currencies are consensual belief systems. Bitcoin will remain
useful as long as there are no effective attacks against
the cryptosystem and/or the infrastructure, and people continue
to believe in it.

Bitcoin is unlikely to be it, but it will have successors and
competitors.

> No. Bitcoin is a ludicrously bad idea. It is a scam. A Scam. It is not a
> currency. The economic assumptions underpinning the Bitcoin ecosystem are
> laughable, and ignore hundreds of years of accumulated understanding of
> how currencies work with each other.

> http://www.quora.com/Bitcoin/Is-the-cryptocurrency-Bitcoin-a-good-idea

I don't consider it either thorough, or compelling. It's full of forceful
assertions, strawmen, and errors.