Journalists are the physicians of the nervous system of society - it's
not enough that they medicate the symptoms, but it's imperative that
they cure the disease and guide the patient on the path of good
health.
I would consider the circular logic of "we only serve what the paying
customer wants" grievously mistaken on many counts.
Other major users of this fig leaf are the massively profitable and
demonstrably evil tobacco companies and fast food restaurant chains of
the world.
This attitude is clearly harmful to society. Who tells the people what
they want? People do not form their opinions out of the ether.
In an increasingly informed secular and scientific age, a single
prime-time news reporter or journal forms more public opinions than
any pastor ever did preaching from the pulpit. How then can one
gainsay the responsibility of journalism for public morality and
conscience?
If your principal defense is that journalism is a carrion trade no
better than big tobacco, I wouldn't call that practice journalism.
I associate journalism with a fine tradition, of the likes of White
Rose, with the motto "We will not be silent" whose authors were
executed by the Gestapo after only their sixth publication.
I think it's fitting to quote these words from the first edition of
White Rose:"If everyone waits until the other man makes a start, the
messengers of avenging Nemesis will come steadily closer."
Though I prefer to associate Indian journalism with finer examples
like "swadeshi mithran", "Kesari", "Induprakash" and the "Mahratta",
even the first newspaper to be published in India, the "Bengal
Gazette", formed in 1880 with the rather ordinary objective of selling
advertisements felt the need to lay claim to journalistic impartiality
with this founding statement - “a weekly political and commercial
paper open to all parties but influenced by none”.
Indian journalism of that age operated under draconian laws such as
the Gagging act and then the even more powerful Vernacular Press Act,
and yet the publications remained fearless and spoke the cause of
truth.
But for fearless journalism by more than one dozen Indian publications
despite the real threat of jailtime and execution, the Company
practice of misappropriating princely states through minority
administration would never have come to light. Tilak went to jail for
writing the truth.
If the newspapers and media organizations of today had done their job
then as many people would have heard of Irom Sharmila as they have of
Anna Hazare, but is that the case? People like P. Sainath are a rare
breed, almost from another planet.
In an information age only second to the age of Gutenberg in
significance, merely publishing the odd story or two of consequence
while remaining safe from physical or financial harm is hardly
praiseworthy.
Journalism today is the inheritor of hard won freedoms that people
have given up their lives to protect. To run it like it was a business
of selling french fries is just not on.

Cheeni