Vidya Balan's "Dirty Picture" was to be aired on TV one afternoon but was
cancelled. The censor board said that it could possibly only be aired after 11
PM when children could be monitored. That movie hardly has anything dirty in
it.

The same week I saw, in the afternoon, an episode from "Friends", an American
serial that seems to be popular with English speaking youngsters in India. The
episode featured a couple in which the woman was holding a box with mice
(pets) and the man warns her that they would soon reproduce and they would
have lots of mice to deal with. The woman says "Hey no they are brother and
sister", and the man says "Mice don't follow the same rules as we do" (or some
such thing).

The woman then opens the box, looks inside shocked and exclaims "Hey get off
your sister you dirty little thing". This passes for American humor I guess,
but the details escape Indians who think this is humor because it is labelled
as humor and think "Dirty Picture" is dirty because it is labelled as dirty.

Indians who understand English are way waaaay beyond the "Dirty Picture" level
of sleaze - to the extent that they are Americanized enough to enjoy "Brother
mouse *** sister mouse" as a "joke". But the powers that be don't seem to
realise this. It is OK and "safe" to have idiotic and vulgar American serials
as "humor" but an Indian work of art is "vulgar"

In fact I think the fundamental problem is the Indian education system but
that is another story.

shiv