http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/neuroscience/science-bilingualism-aging-brain-01969.html

Individuals who speak two or more languages, even those who acquired the second
language in adulthood, may slow down cognitive decline from aging, according to
new research published in the Annals of Neurology.

I expect that many people on this list are bilingual, and that many (most?) of
you (us) are true polyglots.

Here are the languages I've had experience with:

American ("English")
French -- studied from 2nd grade through grad school & 4 years in Senegal. I
once scored 4 (fluent, non-native) on the Foreign Service Institute scale. A
bit rusty now.
Latin -- 4 years in high school. I remember a lot of the grammar & vocabulary,
but can't read a text without a translation nearby.
Vietnamese -- I took a 10-week intensive study during summer 1972 and tested
2.5 or 3 on FSI scale at its conclusion. I remember some of the grammar & tonal
stuff; I have forgotten everything else about the language.
Wolof -- got to about FSI  3 -- Spoken only; never read anything in Wolof. I
remember enough to carry on a conversation with Wolof-speaking cab drivers in
Manhattan.
Pulaar -- about the same as Wolof, perhaps a tad more proficient. Certainly I
knew many more Pulaar words than Wolof words.
Note: since I had no texts or instructional materials for Pulaar & only
rudimentary materials for Wolof, I had a very hole-filled idea of the grammar.
I'm sure I speak it very incorrectly, but I can make myself understood.

I'd be curious to learn what languages listers know. I'm willing to bet you're
all going to experience less cognitive decline than I will.

jrs