On Tuesday, September 23, 2014, Suresh Ramasubramanian <sur...@hserus.net>
wrote:

> > On 22-Sep-2014, at 23:26, Sandhya aka Sandy <sandhya.varn...@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > A few of you gave some good tips on consulting. Makes sense. During that
> > post-Intel break, I had tied up with a firm who signed me up for x days a
> > month and gave me y rs. That worked out well, and I have a few such
> > possibilities in the pipeline. The idea here is to have a supplemental
>
> And as a recent toe dipped into the consultancy sector to feel out a
> pipeline before I took the plunge forcibly reminded me that, least in
> India, prospective customers willing to pay for work tend to drive
> extremely hard bargains and expect five star service at maruti lodge
> prices, so you're stuck with roping in as many foreign clients (who pay
> better though they may well be just as demanding) and late night calls.
>

> My recent experience with consulting in India is very similar. Took me
seven years to realise how tough the market here is for consulting. Maybe ,
I had a reasonably unique model that did not sit well with the markets I
targeted.  People just did not understand what the value of time means to a
consultant. In fact, I've heard downright derogatory statements such as " A
consultant is. One who looks at your watch and tells you what the time
is.". Funny but true. So you just have to be prepared for the gigs and
expect to Actually do way more than what you would have done in a corporate
setting. And if you work with US companies, be prepared to Justify that
charging $20 is not what you had in mind retiring...

It'll be interesting in any case. Good luck...

Cheers
Venkat

PS typing this on an iPad . It seems to add periods and upper case as it
pleases. Apologise for the funny sentences.