>>Take whatever money is left over and invest 70% in a stock index fund and 30%
>>in a bond fund through the DIRECT mode and never touch it until retirement
>>(from Lahar's Deepak Shenoy link)

They stick the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car in the US, so be
wary when you import cars, or axioms.

Index funds are a great idea ... in the US. A lousy idea in India. ICICI
Prudential fund recently shared that a 100% of their funds beat the benchmark
index. Fund managers in India compete with each other, not with the index.
Beating the Index here is a given. (Why so is a much longer discussion.)

Regarding DIRECT mode, as lawyers say, anyone who argues his own case has a
fool for a lawyer. There is a substantial difference in performance between the
best and the worst funds. Plus, funds and fund managers wax and wane. So the
Hero Honda "fill it, shut it, forget it" principle doesn't work too well with
fund selection.

By the same principle, "never touch it until retirement" is okay if you don't
have the time, will and skill or don't have access to a good advisor.
Monitoring and maintaining the quality of your portfolio is essential.

Sorry folks, for suddenly waking up and bellowing, but this topic I seem to
have acquired a little knowledge about. As soon as topics switch back to craft
beer on the west coast, I will revert to radio silence.