Some things I follow:

1. Real estate is not an investment - unless you can sell it, or unless the
annual rental yield for it is greater than 10% of the purchase price. The
truth is this, sure, the value of the property you buy to live in, say a 2
bhk can triple in 5 years time. But when it comes time to sell it, all you
can do is to use the money to buy the same thing. i.e. you can't magically
afford a 3 bhk. Unless you move out of town - and keep doing so every 5
years, further and further away. So there is no net increase in standard of
living by buying property.

2. Buying jewelry is an even worse investment than buying property. For the
same and more reasons.

3. Buy a bunch of stocks from the index - BSE / NSE if in India - and not
more than 15 stocks. And forget about it. Buy an index mutual fund, where
the annual management fees are less than 0.5%, through a SIP, if you
continue to have an income in the meanwhile.

4. If you do have a little left over, buy some US stocks - I prefer ones
like Google, Tesla, Twitter, which will do nothing but rise in the next 10
years.

4. Your parents never paid for your college education - it isn't your
responsibility to pay for your kids' college education either. Let the
buggers take a loan, win a scholarship, or find their own way. Your job is
done by the time they're 16 or 17. This, more than ever, teaches them not
to mooch off you, and to be responsible adults, like all of us were.

5. Beyond this, don't save. Spend it on yourself. No savings rate matches
your increase in personal value, if you invest in doing the things you love.

6. Do this and you'll find retirement, or the rest of life, is a cinch.

My $0.02,

Mahesh