Hi Folks

I had posted the original question about a couple of years ago and I
thought that I'd share my journey since then as a "human case study" on
this subject as it were :). So this may be a somewhat longish post. I got a
lot of valuable tips from the thread then (thanks!!) and here are the ones
I implemented:

1) Put together a *retirement corpus* (have to admit that I didn't exactly
have one at that point in time): took the payout from the company,
liquidated assets such as an old property, withdrew PFs, exited expensive
schemes and streamlined outflow of money - I found a surprising number of
recurring payments that I didn't really need to make. I also moved my home
loan to another bank with a lower interest rate.

2) Hired a* professional "family office" investment consultant* to invest
and maintain this corpus. I enjoy the financial planning aspect of wealth
management, but my weakness is I hate paperwork - and this from a person
whose career was built on documentation! So for my own sanity, I decided I
needed this service.

3) Took out a *personal health insurance* before I left the company. It was
helpful to ensure that I get some things done while still employed: credit
cards, visas etc. These get much harder to apply for if you have a
fledgling business.

4) Started a *consulting business* in training. I got a documentation and a
training gig working few days a week right from the get go, that provided
enough to cover monthly expenses. I also invested in some *skills-building*:
went through training to get coaching certification as I enjoy that.

So far, so good. I had my expenses covered, got a little extra time to
spend with my daughter, went for training classes, could catch up with
friends, and even attended sketching classes to indulge a long-neglected
hobby. I spent any spare time writing, which is my first passion.

Then, what? I had today covered, then I started wondering if I have the
tomorrows of my daughter (who was only 4 then) and myself covered. What
about inflation, rising educational and other life costs my daughter had
yet to incur. I realised my corpus just wasn't quite enough yet, and as a
single Mom, I had only my own resources that I could count on.

If I sold my current *house*, moved into a smaller place, and downsized our
lives, we could still manage. That was what my head said. But when the time
came to do it, I found myself wavering. It's a lot harder to do, especially
if you're accustomed to a certain lifestyle that comes with three decades
of corporate life.

All I got from my parents was a good* education* and I was determined to
give my daughter that. She was flourishing in her current school I couldn't
quite see her being as successful in another curriculum. So that meant
continuing her current expensive school and whatever that led to. She had
jsut started her education and had another 10-15 years to go.

What I never heard growing up was a constant place to call "home" as I was
an Army brat. My house gave me that, and I wanted my daughter to have that
as long as possible. The real estate market in B'lore being what it is,
getting another place to stay may eat away a significant part of whatever
additional corpus I might get through a sale. Also, this was a safe, gated
community and a nice environment for her to grow up.

I also enjoy globetrotting and there are so many countries in the world I
haven't been to yet! And I wanted to share that with my daughter too.

What all that meant was that I wasn't really ready to downsize. At least
not just yet. I was sure my consulting service would build up, but that
would take time, I also figured that I had another decade worth of working
in me before retiring from corporate life. That would be the fastest way to
maintain all my above mentioned aspirations. I had just come to this
realisation when I got a job offer from a company nearby. In the meantime,
My family (parents, sis and family) had moved in with me to help with child
and home care. So taking care of the home became more of a shared
responsibility and that gave some relief.

So I'm back to the grind, not exactly loving it, and come to terms with
what that gives to my life. However, with this whole exercise, I have a
clearer path to retirement, have things sorted in my head, and I try to
make more time for the things I want to do.

Still planning for retirement... and more immediately, a trip to Vietnam!
Sandhya