Your goals sound similar to mine, I too stopped working as a full time
salaried employee and became a consultant. That does give you control over
your time, and allows you to slow down your life, but only if you commit
 yourself to that. It's all too easy to let clients soak up all of your
time. I've found I have to set firm boundaries both in my own mind, and
explicitly with my clients. As an example, for the last few years I've not
worked Mondays. I make it clear to myself and my clients that Mondays are
for doing those things I wouldn't have time for otherwise - reading books,
watching plays, visiting with friends (or in my case, working on little
hardware projects that bring me joy but aren't for a client.)

The hardest thing for me was becoming more comfortable in enforcing that
limit, and saying "no" to clients. "I'm sorry I can't come to that meeting,
I don't work Mondays." I've learned you don't have to give an explanation,
just "I don't work Mondays." Smile, and if they ask why I just say "I only
work four days a week." And I keep strict "work hours" as well. I set aside
time for reading, for cooking, for doing ceramics, the things I know give
me pleasure and energize me.

The best part of slowing down is making more space in my life for the
things I love most. Stepping back and taking a clear-eyed look at those
things and those people that I actually enjoy, and not paying so much
attention to the things I think I'm *supposed* to enjoy. Mostly what
slowing down has allowed me to do is to *stop* doing things. Things that
don't give back joy or energy in proportion to the time they take.

So I just spent three weeks in Tasmania, in a campervan. Each morning we'd
decide where we wanted to go (within at most 2 hours of driving) and then
go there. Set up camp, and just be wherever we were. It was glorious.
Tasmania is incredibly beautiful, and it can feel almost uninhabited.

-- Charles