I took a year and a half sabbatical to be a stay at home parent. While
I'd hesitate to call it slowness (heck, anyone with a toddler can
never be slow - put that doooowwwwnnn.... *runs*) what it did allow me
was re-evaluate the things that I want to maximise for and, more
importantly, truly understand the intrinsic value of these things. It
was otherwise very abstract - to spend time at home, to cook on a
daily basis, to get some exercise etc. So yeah, when I did go back to
work I did choose to find something that offered balance between the
things I found new value in. That said, it is a luxury I am fortunate
to have and did not involve as much sacrifice. I do not know how I
would react to such a decision had it involved a greater than 40% hit
on finances.