On 09/12/2017 07:23 PM, John Sundman wrote:

Hope thing worked out OK.  According to what I’ve read and seen, it
was a monster hurricane in the Caribbean, unimaginably ferocious, but
somewhat more merciful to Florida than it might have been. But still
a cruel storm whose effects will be felt for years.

House and cats came through the storm just fine. Orlando is 25m above sea level, 90km from the east coast, and 170km from the west coast of the peninsula, so the winds are greatly reduced by the time they get here.

When I first moved to Florida, friends suggested I get a place at the beach, as it's cooler (plus it would be closer to the beach). But I kept seeing these signs that said "Hurricane Evacuation Route" pointing to Orlando. I took the hint, and haven't been sorry.

Cheers,
/ Bruce /