Hi Vani,

Thanks for sharing that intensely personal narrative and the choices you
have made in your journey. I think it's incredible to see you arrive at
such level-headed mechanisms to deal with what is obviously a complex
situation. So first up, pat back! That I would say is the first and the
most important step - to acknowledge your role as a difficult one and your
own courage in working through the situation with such wisdom. When it gets
too much to deal with, it's perhaps best to go back to this step and take a
deep breath.

I have been a caregiver for several years, and a combination of everything
above that others on this thread have mentioned has helped -- therapy,
self-care, reading, empathising and constant self-reflection. But perhaps
what has been the most helpful is developing and choosing to rely on an
incredible support system of friends and family with whom you can just
talk. Someone to make chai, to lend an ear, suggest a good mediclaim policy
or take you out to dinner -- all those little things you expect from
friends become a lifeline when you are a caregiver. Anything that helps you
lessen the load, any helping hand you find of use... I would say seek it
and demand it if need be (as long as it is not unreasonable of course).

Also, it helps to learn to recognise when it gets too much to process on
your own (like you probably did while writing this mail) and reach out, cuz
as one of my closest friends once told me, 'if you are the one drowning in
the well, how can you think to save others?' That aside, Jerry Pinto has
written a couple of fabulous books on the issue. *Em and the Big Hoom*
<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/03/em-and-the-big-hoom-jerry-pinto-family-life-bombay>
is a work inspired by Jerry's own life, while *A Book of Light*
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/books/features/Jerry-Pinto-puts-together-A-book-of-Light/articleshow/53537831.cms>
is a collection of narratives by caregivers in India, both beautifully and
sensitively written and edited.

Happy to take this offline and talk further.

Regards,

Rashmi Dhanwani