harry wrote on 3/24/19 10:06 AM March 24, 2019> I have lived in
communities where polio was prevalent - and I have seen people from a
couple of generations crippled and maimed with the after effects of polio
(and not the unseen others who died for the lack of a vaccine). I know one
guy whose mother was unable to vaccinate him due to a death in the family
on the vaccination day at the primary health centre, and then forgot about
it. The guy fell sick in his 20s believing he had been vaccinated, and it
took very long for the doctors to diagnose polio, and eventually he did get
treated and recover, but has a terribly degenerative bone condition on his
spine because of the polio attack.

Weirdly, polio is a clean water disease. Before sanitation was widespread, children contracted an almost-invariably mild case of polio in early life, recovered, continued to come into contact with the polio virus throughout their lives, and paralytic polio was unknown.

Enter sanitation, children don't encounter the polio virus until later, and you have sad epidemics of paralytic polio.

OPV has largely wiped out polio in most
such places. Now the reason OPV failed in some cases (not mentioned in that
article) is for other reasons:
1) when you had communities of people mixing with and without vaccines - it
is possible under some circumstances for the disease to spread from a
recently vaccinated person (typically via stool or sneezing) to a
unvaccinated person; this has been known some time - and the US switched
back to IPVs  because they have a large number of people who don't want any
vaccines who were at risk because of OPV ( I just hope those people dont
travel to india or any african countries ).

The OPV is a live, attenuated oral vaccine and unlikely to cause serious illness in the vaccinated person. One of the touted benefits of the OPV was that the presence of the live virus passively vaccinated family members. OPV is a more effective and longer-lasting vaccine than IPV (injected, killed virus), anyway, and the passive re-exposure strengthened immune responses that might be waning. Unfortunately, the OPV virus can become less attenuated as it reproduces, leading to second-and-third-level contacts encountering a more virulent, wild-type virus.

2) substandard vaccines, this is more common than you think - especially
when there is bulk ordering of millions of dosages of vaccines. those UP
vaccine deaths were most probably due to substandard vaccines.

Vaccine wear-off is a big issue as well. The immunity conferred by vaccines declines over time. This varies by vaccine and individual, with some vaccines wearing off in a few months while others might still be going strong after 50 years. It seems generally foolish for us to assume that vaccination against a disease in childhood will continue to protect us in mid-life, *but most people do exactly that*.

I see anti-vax as really a first world problem for people who have the
means to procure aseptic food and environments, and treat themselves in
proper hospitals when there is the eventuality of disease.

It's a third world problem, too. In some places, vaccination programs have been sloppy enough that they've transmitted other diseases along with the vaccine. In others, vaccination programs have been infiltrated by bad actors. The combination of these factors has led to serious distrust of vaccine programs in some areas of Africa.

Polio is just
one of the many killers for the less fortunate communities i am talking
about (i saw a place where a rota virus killed every other child that was
born in the 6 month period that i was there, only because the vaccine was
not freely available at the primary health centre), and they are more than
happy to get the vaccine since it clearly improved survivability.

On the other hand, at some point the risk/benefit equation flips. When my second child was up for the DT vaccination, our doctor remarked that she was more likely to be bitten by a cobra (not endemic to the US) than to contract diphtheria. Shortly thereafter, the vaccine schedule changed to reflect the fact that diphtheria was no longer a threat to American children.

Diphtheria is a terrible disease, and the vaccine is quite effective. It's not risk-free though, and, as with the OPV, there's a point where a given vaccine causes more harm than it prevents.

I do see parents in my son's first-world-like school who have not
vaccinated their kids with *anything* on the basis of some celebrity video
or misleading article talking about the disease in statistical terms.

Statistics can cut multiple ways, can't they?

If we kept everyone's vaccines current on every disease that vaccines can prevent, it would be extraordinarily expensive and also likely cause more harm than good. Some vaccines (I can attest to this for the rabies vaccine) are just plain nasty, and only justified when there's a possible exposure to a much worse disease.

First world children are, by and large, extraordinarily safe from deadly diseases. Even if they contract diseases that we vaccinate against, they have access to a higher level of medical care than any previous generation. Communicable disease is less of a risk for them than the family car, the neighborhood pool, or Mommy's handgun.

People get complacent when they have everything they need and they live in a safe world.

I am extremely grateful for the push to develop an effective tuberculosis vaccine. As antibiotics fail, TB threatens to become an even bigger scourge than it is already.

--
Heather Madrone  (heat...@madrone.com)
Blog: http://www.knitfitter.com/category/personal/

The Goddess moves mountains -- bring a shovel.