On 14 Jul 98 at 19:14, Peter wrote:

> I saw a clever use of a 5v regulator 7805 to limit current to 20mA
> in a cs circuit. ... I see no reason why anyone couldn't use a 1k
> resistor in exactly the same manner to limit circuit current to
> 5mA.

Exactly, Pete. This sort of current limiter is a standard application
of voltage regulator chips. You'll find a circuit for it in just
about every data book listing.

We all worry about voltage, but the real actor in this process is the
flow of current. We will need to do some pretty detailed studies of
the behavior of the system in terms of particle size and production
rates vs. electrode geometries and current density. Then we'll know
what kind of circuit or setup will work the best.

Even if we end up re-inventing the wheel and discover that the "best"
arrangement is already the most popular, the whole process will be
out in the open and documented on the web for everyone to see. That
will be a good thing.

Be well,

Mike D.

[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]