In pratical terms it means that the silver particles aggregate together.
Basically you can tell particle size by what what light is absorbs.  Ionic
silver
(atoms) absorb in the uv range and will appear clear when in water.  As more
atoms
bind together, the wavelenth that is absorbed increases so that at around 5 nm
or
so it will begin absorbing within the visible spectrum, ie. violet.  When violet
light is absorbed, you see the complement, or in this case yellow.  Thus as
particle size increases the "color" of colloidal silver will go from clear to
light yellow, to gold, orange, red, and brown.  When you have a range of large
particles the it will absorb light across the band, and will appear grey or
black.  Large particles will not stay suspended and will precipite out, that is
fall out.  This is bad.

Thus when you add aloe vera and get the grey, you end up with a small amount of
large particles instead of a large amount of small particles.  Effectiveness is
proportional to the number of particles, so this drops effectiveness
considerably.  Also if you ingest it, the large particles will not be able to
penetrate the stomach and make it into the blood.  Keeping the mixture at a ph
of
7 or more (sorry I said 7 or less before, that was wrong) and refrigerating the
combination should allow it to keep for several months provided that you start
with a high quality colloid that is clear, or only faintly yellow and
refrigerate
it.

BTW, many sources of aloe vera have benzoic acid in them, and this tends to make
the silver aggrregate and precipitate as well, so try to get pure aloe vera if
you
can.

I hope this helps.

Marshall