Your friend is already sick, it may not be a good idea for him to beat
his head against the wall too.  Trying to convince a doctor is about
impossible, and trying to convince him in the middle HIS show is
probably futile.  The MD (Magnificent Diety) also has to think about
malpractice and will not put his career on the line by making a quick
decision on any alternative cure, unless your friend has a very unusual
doctor.

You might better just take some cs to your friend, or have your friend
opt for outpatient care if possible.  That way he could use cs along
with the doc's stuff.

Best wishes,
Jim