Yes, there is another burn remedy, one that I experienced. Rather than retell the story, I'll provide a short story I've written about the event (but never sold).

A Folk Medicine Mystery

I'm looking for answers to a folk medicine mystery that has perplexed me for almost 50 years. I've discussed it with many acquaintances over the years, but no one has an explanation for its mysterious effectiveness. Only one person out of the hundreds who have heard this story could relate a similar occurrence.

It is, by any stretch of the imagination, an incredible yet highly effective cure for serious burns. However, it is so far outside the realm of modern medicine that it sounds like voodoo. But believe me, it works. I hope some expert in folk medicine, or a mainstream burn expert can explain this phenomenon.

At a recent barbecue, host Bradley was manning the big grills when he badly burned his left hand. He danced in pain for a few minutes, swearing several choice phrases. Then he started applying ice and butter to the burn.

I went over, and told him to put his hand back over the sizzling hot grill. "It'll take the pain away," I said. He looked at me like I was crazy.

"No, it will, I swear," I said. He was swabbing butter onto his hand. "I don't doubt that what you're saying is true," he said, "but the last thing I want to do is stick my hand back in the fire."

           Then I told him this story:

Back in the 1950s, when I was a teenager, I worked summers at my father's newspaper plant in Suffolk, Virginia. This one particular summer I was a printer's devil, an apprentice assistant learning how to make up the old-fashioned lead type pages used in that era.

Each day I would pack a can of soup and a sandwich to work with me, and when lunch time rolled around, I'd go into the stereotype department of the newspaper to heat up my soup. I'd do it by putting it in a pan atop the molten lead pot, where the metal used to make the newspaper plates was kept a liquid at 650 degrees. It would boil the soup in less than 30 seconds, so it was quite effective.

This particular day, I was washing my hands before eating. While doing so, I was chatting with the two pressmen who ran the press each afternoon, Jonas Barrett and Willie Moore. They also ran the adjacent stereotype department, where the cardboard mats imprinted with each page were transformed into lead plates to be mounted on the press. The mat was inserted into a casting mold, and the red-hot lead was pumped into the mold to form the lead page plate.

After the plate is cast, it sits in the mold for a few minutes while the lead cools about 100 degrees and hardens. Then it is taken from the mold, and sent through a trimming machine that prepares it for the press. The trip through the trimming machine takes less than 30 seconds, so the plate is still extremely hot when it exits the machine. It still must be handled with heat-resistant gloves.

The sink where I was washing my hands was next to the trimming machine. There was a smoldering hot page plate, fresh from the machine, sitting there cooling. I leaned over and placed my hand directly onto the hot plate. I had just washed and dried my hands, but they were still damp.

A burst of steam boiled up from between my fingers. Instantly, I could smell my skin burning.

I screamed in pain, and looked at my hand. My skin was ashen gray from my fingertips to the edge of my palms. I was in agony.

Jonas Barrett ran across the room and grabbed me by the arm, practically picking me off the floor as he dragged me toward the six-foot wide metal pot. There, I struggled vainly as he forced my hand down to within two inches of the smoking molten lead. I couldn't believe what he was doing. The pain was unbearable.

"It'll take the heat away," he said, as I struggled to break free from his grasp. The pain was searing. "It'll take the heat out," he said, over and over again. I made eye contact with him, and started to relax a little.

Then I noticed the pain was easing. It didn't hurt quite as bad. Then, quickly, the pain disappeared. It stopped hurting altogether. It had been less than 90 seconds. I looked at my hand. It was still grayish on the surface, but a healthy pink color showed through the skin.

It never blistered, it never peeled, and it never hurt again from that moment on. I never applied any medicine to the burn, I didn't go to a doctor. There was no need to do either. My hand felt perfectly normal less than five minutes after the incident. I ate my lunch, then went back to work for the full afternoon shift, with little discomfort. I couldn't believe it then, and I still can't believe it.

In the intervening years, I have suffered several other serious burns - from grabbing a red-hot exhaust pipe on my home heater, from a splash of boiling oil, from scalding water. Each time, I bit my lip and put my hand back into the heat, either over the stove or in steaming hot water. Each time, the pain quickly disappeared. This mysterious burn remedy has worked every time.

I have taught this technique to others, those few brave souls willing to believe me, and they have used it with equal success. A friend of mine who is an at-home jeweler used it after suffering a nasty burn, and he now swears by it, and has taught it to other jewelers in Taxco, Mexico.

I have discussed this with hundreds of people, but only one said she had heard anything like it. She witnessed the incident as a child. She saw her grandfather, working on the family stove when it exploded in a ball of flame, thrust his badly burned hand and arm into a pot of water boiling on top of the stove to take away the pain.

She, like Jonas Barrett, was African-American. Perhaps this is a clue to the source of this folk medicine remedy.

In the intervening years I've devoted numerous hours thinking about this incident, and trying to analyze this miraculously improbable burn remedy. I believe the answer somehow lies in the release of the shock of the burn. By heating the surrounding flesh to near-burn intensity, the borderline between the burn and the surrounding flesh is erased, and this release somehow nullifies the pain. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Over the years, I have wanted to present this strange but true story to the public to seek answers, and to let others know of its effectiveness. Hopefully, someone can provide the proper answers to this medical mystery.

(About the author: Bill Missett is a retired U.S. daily newspaper editor, living the life of Riley in a small fishing village in Southern Mexico famed for its big surf and big fish.)

----- Original Message ----- From: "sol" <sol...@sweetwaterhsa.com>