From: M. G. Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:19:11 PM
Subject: Re: CS>PACE questions

Shelli writes:
> I recently asked if anyone with info about the PACE program that was
> recently discussed on the list could let me know if the ebook has you
> decide your exertion levels (should be intensity levels) and number
> them 1-10 as the book

Dear Shelli,

The e-book keeps things pretty simple. All he suggests is that you
exercise up to a level that you can tell is slightly beyond your
ability to sustain for a long period. If, after an exertion interval
you are breathing heavily or panting, even a little bit, you've
exceeded your aerobic intensity level and have created an oxygen debt
that you must fill during the recovery period. That's all he requires.

The intensity level is entirely subjective and based on your present
fitness level. You learn to pace yourself to complete a one, two, or
three minute exertion period, with shorter exertion intervals being
more vigorous than longer ones.

I suspect that he has simplified the PACE concept based on experience
gained after the publication of the earlier book. The e-book is very
clear and approachable.

I hope that helps. I've been doing approximately every other day
workouts to ease into the program, and am now ready to try doing them
almost daily and see how I do. No big dramatic results yet, but I
wouldn't expect anything after just a couple of weeks. I, too, find the
short workouts very comfortable.

Be well,

Mike D.