Evening Garry,

Trust me the basis of weight in the metric system is 1 cubic centimeter of water = 1 gram.
    I trust you and I believe you.   Thanks to you and Marshal
for the patience to change my mind.   Honestly........

I am a nut for numbers and a nut for specifics.

If we knew how all the old units were defined, we might have problems with others.

I have always wondered how the acre came about with area that does not allow a square acre. That must go back to townships and how they were defined. I know, some will say "You can Have a square Acre".

Possibly I got this way from working with analog and digital devices and working scale factors to several decimal places.

I had to scale analog devices to pH, EC, Humidity, and others.
It can be hard. So, I wrote a nice program to find the scale factors for me. No longer did I have to wear out my HP 15C.

I still see that definition as outdated, theoretical and non obtainable except under laboratory conditions.

Everyone knows how hard it is to find pure water,

Often I add 100, 200, and up to 450 ppm to a water solution.
I add several of these solutions which must add weight.
Seem this would change the weight, as would several ppm of silver, especially counting the particles.

Then the weight of the solution would be different than the defined value. Likely the calculated ppm would be wrong, if using the specific volume standard.

I fully realize this is of no significance to practical applications.
In practice, ( other than laboratory work ) a certain amount of estimation and compromise exists.

Thanks again for helping me to see the logic here.

Wayne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram

1 fluid oz of water weighs 1oz avoirdupois