I want to thank everyone who responded. One person suggested that the downside of thermal stirring is that the water actually moves too fast in the jar which causes fuzzy deposits on the electrodes. If that's true then it seems a bubbler would move water even faster, thus causing more deposits. I hope Brooks will comment on whether he's seen this.

I'd also like to mention that I never stored a generator unless completely dry and never set it upside down so that water could run into the motor - these units are expensive and I'm meticulous about maintenance. When the problem initially showed up last year, I did reposition the plastic tube covering the motor shaft which worked for a while - then it just burned out completely. A couple of experts have opined that corrosion is inevitable when such a motor operates that close to water.

All the suggestions are very much appreciated - its hard being without CS/EIS for very long. There are now several options and I'm going to focus on finding the best alternative stirring method - either heat, magnetic or bubbler.

Deborah