This is an important point I think , Nancy. I could expand briefly: limited knowledge of biochemical processes and nutrition has led to spurious conclusions, fashions and so on. Many of these were taken up and publicised by a competitive food industry (processed foods). MOreover, processed food, which has increased beyond belief, presents a complicated picture. And, quality of produce has deteriorated along with soils.
JOhn